Wednesday, November 7, 2007

SELF- ASSESMENT OF ONLINE LISTENING TO PODCASTS


http://www.last.fm/music/B.+Fleischmann/melancholy+podcast
B. Fleischmann - Melancholy Podcast

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/podcasts/
Scotland`s Tiree island



I have listened two podcasts. The first one was about B. Fleischman's - one of the best electronic musician's new album. He showed how the music was born and told some stories. Second podcast was about tiny island of Scotland's west coast. This practice was useful for me, because it gave me a chance to practice for my listening exam. It was very interesting indeed, because I have chosen topics which were important for me.

First podcast was not very difficult to understand. But I listened for it two times, because there were several words that I misunderstood and couldn't understand whole sentence. That problem was because of lack of musical terms in my vocabulary. The pronunciation was with nice German accent which was easy to understand.

Second podcast was much more difficult. I listened for it three times. The biggest problems were interferences and Scottish accent. I found it difficult to understand what people were trying to say. I need more listening practice with podcasts with different accents. This podcast showed me, that I have experience just with traditional English language. What is more, noisy background disturbed my concentration and in some places totally messed my brain.

All in all, this practice showed me that I have to watch more movies or listen radio in English. But the best solution to expand my vocabulary, in my opinion, is to read more literature in English. The easiest way to improve my knowledge of English is to communicate in English with people from different parts of the planet earth.

No comments: